Re: Paralititan pronunciation

> << ...Latin and Ancient Greek are dead languages that don't change
anymore...

> Cladistically speaking, Latin still exists in the form of its descendant
> languages Italian, French, Spanish, and so forth; likewise ancient Greek
in
> the form of modern Greek. Just as dinosaurs still exist in the form of
birds.

Ermmm... sure. But IMHO languages are more like species than like clades, so
Latin is pseudoextinct :-)
(BTW, I've seen several papers that have cladistic analyses of language
phylogenies. The analogy is not far-fetched at all.)

Regarding that HP Filippo Calzolari wrote he pronounces Latin names as the
Romans did, this is largely true, but some changes in pronounciation have
happened: Before something like 400 or 500 AD, all c's, including those
before e and i, were pronounced as k. Caesar had the same first syllable as
Kylie... (German Kaiser is directly from there.) And v was originally
pronounced w (that's why u and v were the same letter): In Greek
inscriptions the emperor Valerius was written Oualerios during his lifetime,
while the later Valentinianus got a beta in front which was already
pronounced as v in Greek during his lifetime. (The presence of w and the
absence of v are AFAIK plesiomorphies for Indo-European languages.) I just
don't know when these two emperors lived... So when we say "pronounced as in
Latin", we always actually mean "pronounced as the Romans probably said it
in this or that century".

Anyway, what really matters is the spelling -- all such names are written
much more often than said aloud --, and this is fixed forever in any case.
(Until ICZN or, in whatever future, ICPN changes this... forget about it.)