re:Paralititan pronunciation

    Filippo Calzolari said, "I'm italian and I pronounce names as Romans did."

    Oh, Oh!... He didn't capitalize the I in Italian, as most Italians do!  :-)  And, Titan is Greek in origin, not Roman.

    He also said, "You create the name, you want it spelled one way and others have to follow your way even if it's wrong..interesting;[note:this is directed to Mr.Stanford]"

    Paralititan was a name created by Kenneth J. Lacovara, Ph.D. of Drexel University in Philadelphia, for the great Egyptian sauropod, and if one really wants to be right, spell it the way the paper does and, by my preference, even pronounce it the way the authors prefer.  It is, after all, their 'child'.  Have they no right to spell and pronounce its name their way?  O.K., pronounce it differently if one likes, but closely enough that one knows of what you speak.  However one chooses to pronounce the name, it is beautifully descriptive, and I think it one of the nicest names to crop up in a long time.

     Calzolari further said, "...I'm sorry first scientists knew latin pronunciation rules better than you do, but this is not a good reason to say that people who still (for one reason or another) know how to read it have to change because of this."

    Perhaps you read too much into my words.

    But maybe Filippo Calzolari and many of us might agree (?) on this:  Americans, in general, seem to have some laziness or sloppiness about properly pronouncing names not of English origin, sometimes including dinosaur names.  Most of our network TV news anchors do not help matters and are often disturbing in this respect.  I recently heard my fellow Texan, Dan Rather, pronounce the same foreign name at least three different ways during a single evening news broadcast!  What would he do with Piatnitzkysaurus floresi?  :)

    Ray Stanford