Re:Paralititan pronunciation

Filippo Calzolari (calzola@iol.it) wrote:

<I don't think it really was in the authors' intention, since
it's the way english-speaking people pronounce the word titan,
not the way it should be pronounced if it was considered as
belonging to the original "dead" language.>

  Speaking technically, there's no such thing as an extinct or
dead language, as long as one form persists to present, an
analogy being Dinogeorge's use of dinosaurs and birds as extant
dinosaurs.... A transformed language, like Latin, still exists
as Español, Italiano, Française, Romaneste, etc... A transformed
dinosaur still exists today, as a starling, or a bald eagle, or
a tinamou.

I wrote:

<<So Smith et al. have every right to pronounce it as it is
ascribed in the paper>>

  And so Filippo wrote:

<sure, as everybody has the right to do something wrong as far
as it isn't a problem for others...>

  So we're going to quibble over the name because it offends the
few who think this is a travesty? Sorry that Classic Latin and
Italian are so close as to be effected similarly in the written
and spoken form, but the name was used, published, as a
perferred pronounciation given, and it _is_, in my opinion, the
author's right to choose how this name should be pronounced; as
given. You can pronounce it any way you wish.

<if you want to use name without having to spell it letter by
letter because it's not easy to pronounce, then use your
language;it will be easier, and the rest of the planet, already
speaking english in some way, will adapt and use it(i'm not
being ironical).>

  I have no difficulty pronouncing *Paralititan*: in a Greek
stem, _paralos_ and _paralikos_ are prefixed as _parali-_ and
the accent fall on the second syllable, so in this, Smith et al.
are correct. In "Titan", the root is _titanos_, or one of that
gigantic race, and it is accented on the _first_ syllable when
stemmed to _titan_. No one should be worrying how this all
effects Latin since there's not a single Latin stem in the
name....

  _pah-RAHL-ee-TEE-tahn_ would be the Greek etymological form;
in English, this comes off easiest as _pah-RAAL-ih-TYE-tahn_ (AA
is the "a" in American _that_ or the @ symbol pronounced -- If I
had the ability to render IPA symbols here, it would be easier).
Get over it. Life goes on.

=====
Jaime A. Headden