Re:Paralititan pronunciation

Ray Stanford wrote:
<<Filippo Calzolari said, "I'm italian and I pronounce names as Romans did."

    Oh, Oh!... He didn't capitalize the I in Italian, as most Italians do!  :-)>>
...interesting ...perhaps you might
try to do a socio-anthropological study on this...

 << And, Titan is Greek in origin, not Roman.  >>

I said, indeed, that I pronounce names as Romans did; I was not talking about _this_name in particular....

<<Paralititan was a name created by Kenneth J. Lacovara, Ph.D. of Drexel University in Philadelphia, for the great Egyptian sauropod, and if one really wants to be right, spell it the way the paper does and, by my preference, even pronounce it the way the authors prefer.  It is, after all, their 'child'.  Have they no right to spell and pronounce its name their way?  O.K., pronounce it differently if one likes, but closely enough that one knows of what you speak. >>  it's exaclty the contrary; the spelling is wrong as given in the paper(but it's not a problem at all for me since I know how to read it) but nobody will feel offended if all english speaking paleontologists pronounce it badly(as far as it's recognizable);  however I don't think "you"(generic, impersonal) are in the position to tell me that i have the permission to use my language even if I'm wrong in this particular case(which is not, again, true).

<<[..]the name, it is beautifully descriptive, and I think it one of the nicest names to crop up in a long time.>>

completely agree

<<Americans, in general, seem to have some laziness or sloppiness about properly pronouncing names not of English origin, sometimes including dinosaur names.>>

agree...

Jaime wrote:
<<Speaking technically, there's no such thing as an extinct or
dead language, >>

I  wrote  "dead" for this reason.

<<So we're going to quibble over the name because it offends the
few who think this is a travesty?>>

I find this a bit superficial; I said I found the pronounciation wrong and simply told it because I thought there was simply an error.It seems like, once recognized the spelling is wrong, it's easy to say that it's in the authors' right to spell  it how they want without considering already existing rules....
I don't care too much about this single case (Paralititan is a nice name) , but about the fact that someone thinks it's proper to change rules without considering others...I think many of you would feel a bit upset if I came up with new "americanized" italian words and wanted them to be accepted by you all, because I have the right to do whatever I want..

<<You can pronounce it any way you wish.>>

just to keep things simple, right?

If anyone feels like we should discuss this off-line please tell me.

Filippo Calzolari