Re: Response II and Roman emperors

Dinogeorge wrote:

Likewise try-CARE-uh-tops (Triceratops) and Care-uh-TOPE-yuh (Ceratopia)

What this boils down to is whether pronunciations of scientific names should follow the conventions of the native language from which they are derived. IMHO, it should be for the person who names the taxon to decide how it is pronounced.

Sure, Aristotle or Sophocles would have pronounced "Triceratops" with a hard "c" - but the genus was named by an English-speaker who no doubt would also have pronounced "Julius Caesar" with a soft "c" (as in Caesar salad). Ditto _Triceratops_.

Garth Godsman wrote:

I remember seeing an icon of a Byzantine Emperor that
had the legend in Greek (if I can remember how to
spell it correctly) "Basileus Romanoi" - King of the
Romans.

Basileus Romaioi (I think). Though known to modern historians as the "Byzantine Empire", the people (and rulers) of this Greek-speaking east Mediterranean realm saw themselves as the continuation of the eastern Roman Empire - even though Italy (and the city of Rome) was not part of the Empire (apart from a brief period following the conquests of Justinian the Great in the 6th century).

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall