Re: Breviparopus

> Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Waylon Rowley <whte_rbt_obj@yahoo.com>
>
> I was flipping through the 2001 guiness book of world records, and
> under "Longest Known Dinosaur" was listed the ichnogenus
> Breviparous.  They said its estimated length would be around 157
> feet- making it the (?)  longest known vertebrate. If anyone has
> more information on this little-known dinosaur, it would be much
> appreciated.

There's surprisingly little about Breviparopus on the web -- I checked
the twenty-odd links from google.com, most of which are in non-English
languages.  None of them had any information worth mentioning.
However, I did turn up one oddity:
http://members.tripod.co.jp/big_game/sauropod/biggest.html

Maybe someone who understands the language this page is written in (my
browser displays it with the wrong font, and the HTML doesn't seem to
specify a language or encoding) could explain the second picture on
the page!

> Also, I'd like to know if there is a Breviparopus equivalent in the
> theropod world. Any spectacular partial remains or footprints of
> truly monstrous theropods? Thanx!

Not really answering your question, but I believe there is an enormous
Iguanodon-like print (whose name of course eludes me.)  Ray?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor - <mike@miketaylor.org.uk> - www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There's something Newtonian about paleontology: every
         conclusion produces an equal and opposite conclusion" -- Brian
         M. McCarthy