Re: Linguistic and Biological Systematics

In a message dated 6/4/01 2:03:59 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:

<< Unfortunately, "language" and "species" also correlate in the number and
 frequent vagueness of their definitions and usages. But language families
 (and subfamilies, etc.) do correspond pretty well to clades. It's kind of
 interesting that language classification has always been cladistic. >>

That's one reason I brought up the analogy in the first place. If we can
agree on a classification methodology for languages (hah), then maybe we
might also be able to agree on a classification methodology for organisms,
using the same principles.