Re: Paralititan pronunciation

> <What is x pronounced in Portuguese? (j is AFAIK like in
> French)>
>
>   Please keep in mind one does not pronounce these as if they
> were Portug[u]ês, but as "Tupi" [...]

Sure, but probably all languages in Brazil that have an orthography have got
it from Portuguese, so unless someone tells me better, I'll assume all such
words are supposed to be pronounced like in Portuguese.

> <As soon as one knows that these are 2 syllables _and manages to
> pronounce the q_ (I think I can do it, but I can't possibly
> explain it in writing)... and knows the tones...>
>
>   Also be aware (and I've head Japanese pronouced)

It's Chinese, not Japanese. Japanese is even more closely (though still
_very_ distantly) related to English than to Chinese, while Chinese is
closer to Basque than to Japanese. B-)

> q = "ch"

Well, it is similar, but it is still quite different. Ch exists in Chinese
(and is pronounced exactly like in English, just more aspirated). Q could be
written tx when x is the Chinese x... and this is what is difficult to
explain in writing. It's something like Gaelic/German/Czech/... ch and s
said at the same time...

> and
> d/t are interchangeable because the actual sound falls somewhere
> between them, so can sound like them _both_.

In Chinese d and t are very different. D is quite "hard" (relatively
voiceless, like in German), but t is aspirated at least as strongly as in
English. I guess you may be confused by the older Wade-Giles transcription
which used t for Pinyin d and t' for Pinyin t -- and people usually forgot
the apostrophe.

> Same for l/r.

Japanese has AFAIK something strange here, but in Chinese the case is clear,
it is a normal l. (The r that appears in Pinyin, such as China People's
Daily = Rénmín Rìbào, is something unique, an English r said at the same
time as a French j.)

> So
> you can we relatively correct when you say chin-DOW-sawr'-uhs,
> but that's not entirely correct.

One thing that I can explain in writing, however, is that Qingdao has ng,
not n.

Well, back to the topic. I'm re-reading the description of *Beipiaosaurus*.
Tomorrow I'll probably have decided for myself whether segnosaurs are
theropods or not... and expect a long post on classification :-)

I'm satisfied I know where birds have come from.
        John H. Ostrom after seeing *Sinosauropteryx*