Re: Paralititan pronunciation

david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

or *Tsintaosaurus*....<<

This
becomes a bit simpler if one knows that the city is now spelled Qingdao. As
soon
as one knows that these are 2 syllables _and manages to pronounce the q_ (I
think I can do it, but I can't possibly explain it in writing)... and knows
the
tones...

The "q" in Chinese is probably prounounced much like the "c'" at the end of
your own name.  "ch" and "q" are both somewhat similar to English "ch", but
the former is retroflexed and the latter is palatal.

"d" in pinyin is like "t" in French, Spanish, or Italian (but _not_ like in
English, German, or Scandinavian languages--in many positions, at least, most
Germanic languages put aspiration on p, t, and k; and in pinyin, "p", "t",
and "k" are used to represent aspirated stops).

--Nick P.