Re: Paralititan pronunciation

Filippo, João, and others,

I have been assuming that this whole discussion has been over how
"paralititan" should be pronounced _in English_.  _Written_ Latin is
universal (at least in western and central Europe); but each linguistic
community has its own rules about how words created in the written language
ought to be manifested in speech.

Indeed, the rules for English are _very_ complex and somewhat flexible (next
time you're at an English-speaking paleontology conference, keep track of how
many different pronunciations you hear for, say, "Deinonychosauria" or
"autapomorphy").  My own instinct for "paralititan" was to pronounce it with
a primary accent on "-ti-" and a secondary accent on "par-", but if Josh and
co. want the secondary accent on "-ral-", then so be it.

The question of how the name would have been pronounced in Classical Greek is
sticky.  For starters, it's not quite exactly a Greek compound.  The
connector vowel for Greek compounds is -o-, not -i- as in Latin; hence,
paral-O-titan (sorry, Josh).

Second, the length of the second alpha in "paralos" will affect whether the
connector vowel actually shows up as omicron or omega.  Finally, the accent
will be either on the second-to-last or the third-to-last syllable, depending
on whether the alpha in "titan" is long or short, and I don't have my Greek
dictionary here with me to check.

--Nick P.