From: "Tracy Ford" <dino.hunter@home.com>
To: <graydon@dsl.ca>, "Dinonet \(E-mail\)" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: RE: Paralititan pronunciation or ... GHOTIUGH, the Fish
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:58:50 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Graydon
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 8:31 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 07:34:41PM -0300, João S. Lopes Filho scripsit:
> After all these discussion about pronunciation, phonetics and
> Antiquity, we can conclude that the pronunciation of Paralititan is
> not difficult. The pronunciation in English is what is actually very
> difficult, because English writing is so far from a phonetic writing.
> Remember Bernard Shaw's "GHOTIUGH".

I have no language other than English, and my first guess as
pronunciation turns out to have been correct.  I really don't think it's
at all difficult as a name; unusual, yes, and I had no idea what it
meant, but it isn't in any way difficult to *say*.

I am very interested in a big sauropod that lives in a mangrove swamp,
though -- do the excavators think it lived there, or died there?

Not to steal Josh, Matt et al's thunder. Last year at the SVP Josh said that
it lived there and it was two big to have floated there. Also part of his
slide presentation was about them going to a mangrove swamp and doing
research on it. Josh can tell everyone about what he dropped in the swamp :>

There is some very interesting implications. Large sauropods, theropods
walking around the swamp, avoiding the giant croc's and giant coelacanths
swimming about (also sharks etc.). I was talking to some fossil dealers
about the area that the Morocco material is coming from and they think that
that area was also a mangrove swamp. Could all of northern African coast
been a swamp?

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074