RE: Paralititan (mangrove swamps)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Ken
Kinman
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 4:32 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Paralititan (mangrove swamps)

Tracy and Josh,
      Aren't the soils (muds) of mangrove swamps usually anoxic and
therefore an unusually ideal area for fossil preservation?
      If so, couldn't it be a fluke of preservation.  In other words,
perhaps Paralititan usually lived in other habitats, but only got fossilized
if one happened to wander into such a swamp and died there.
      I don't have any firm conviction either one way or the other
(non-theropods don't interest me much).  Just playing devil's advocate for
the sake of discussion.
                        ---Ken

Josh will have to answer this. I was just stating what was said at the SVP
and the other person I talked to.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074