Re: paralitita, mangroves and language

Actually, it is used in both contexts, at times, typically with a prefix of
some sort, to refer to specific plants but also like the term reef as a general
environment indicator with lots of different taxa doing the same ecological job
- ecological correlates - in that odd habitat. Before mangroves as we think of
them, these same environments in the Paleozoic often had very interesting
invertebrate faunas including eurypterids and protohorseshoe crabs. Really cool
area of study, even if dinosaurs only infrequently come up.

Ralph

Ralph E. Chapman
Applied Morphometrics Laboratory
National Museum of Natural history
ADP, EG-15  NHB, 10th & Constitution, NW
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC 20560-0136
(202) 786-2293, Fax: (202) 357-4122
Chapman.Ralph@nmnh.si.edu

>>> Silvio Renesto <renesto@mailserver.unimi.it> 06/06/01 10:11AM >>>

I have been advised either privately and on the list that  mangrove is used
indicating an environment not a plant. Again, sorry for this ...

                                        Silvio Renesto

-

"Before being enlightened,   hard work; after enlightenment, hard work"
(Guo Yunshen).

Dr. Silvio Renesto
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra
Università degli Studi di Milano
via Mangiagalli 34
I 20133 Milano
Italy

phone +39-0223698232
fax  +39-02-70638261
e-mail:    renesto@mailserver.unimi.it
or/and     Silvio.Renesto@unimi.it
Have a look at our Late Triassic site at:
http://users.unimi.it/vertpal/index.htm