RE: Laws on fossil collecting

This was held back by a technical glitch -- MPR

From: William.BONNET@fr.thalesgroup.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: daboard@mindspring.com, Danvarner@aol.com
Subject: RE: Laws on fossil collecting
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:59:57 +0200

Hi,

> The real point is that some countries are so strict that amateurs
> can't and don't collect. This is a loss for everyone since public
> and private collections alike receive specimens from
> amateurs. Fossils won't make it to the "dark drawers" of public
> institutions unless they are collected. And many important specimens
> are collected by amateurs.

Actually i don't even know what are the laws in my country (France)
about fossils collecting.  Moreover, i'm not really sure about what i
would have to do if ever i would find something looking interesting.

I agree with the point that educating people about collecting is
important.  Maybe gathering and putting online some information about
the laws in the different countries and about what to do and how to do
it may be helpfull.

> I'd like to second the motion for a web site cataloging laws on
> collecting.  (If it would help, I happily offer my web design
> skills.) Responsible collecting should be taught and encouraged.

I'd like to support this motion, if you need any help to build or to
host the site you can count me in.

William Bonnet