Re: Paralititan (mangrove swamps)

philidor11 wrote:

> <Careful about calling it a swamp, though.  These are generally pretty sandy
> systems.  Even the muds tend to be interfingered with sands.>
>
> Thinking about Dino State Park and its footprints in sandy soil, do you
> think trackways might be found?
> Also, the animal would need a major source of fresh water, which would
> presumably have to be sufficiently far from the mangrove area that salt
> water wouldn't mix in.  Any indication of whether there were alternating
> areas of mangrove and coastal forest, or is the most reasonable hypothesis
> that they were commuters?

The sediments are pretty bad for tracks, but we continue to look.
The fresh water source is certainly an issue, although it is possible that the
plants (or at least all of the plants) did not concentrate salt and were a
source of fresh moisture.  As soon as you get our of the intertidal zone, you
would get into some sort of coastal forest.  There are also fresh water sources
on the mangrove islands themselves.  Ken and I sat down and had lunch right
next to the opening to one of them on Rabbit Key in the 10,000 Islands area of
FL during the second week of December 2000.  There is a pretty substantial
population of small mammals living on the mangrove islands about 3 to 6
kilometers out from the edge of the "coastal forest" here and deer are known to
hang around out there as well.  So, while fresh water is an issue, I don't
think it is a difficult one.  There is no reason to presume that the hydrology
of the system would have been particularly different.

-Josh

--
Josh Smith
University of Pennsylvania