New Abstracts

On my last day of school this year, I saw the abstracts of the Sixth International Congress of Vertebrate Morphology.  This was in the Journal of Morphology, volume 248(3) from June, 2001.  The symposium was held in Jena, Germany on July 21-26.  There are tons of cool abstracts in here, many applicable to dinosaurs, but I only had time to write the dinosaurian ones.

Carrano, 2001. The evolution of dinosaur locomotion, 214.

Chapman, Johnson and Stevens, 2001. The posture of Triceratops: Insight from three-dimensional modeling, scanning and prototyping, 215.

Chiappe, Coria and Dingus, 2001. Sauropod reproductive behavior: Evidence from the Auca Mahuevo nesting site (Upper Cretaceous, Patagonia, Argentina), 216.

Chinsamy, 2001. Growth patterns of dinosaurs, 216.

Dodson and Harris, 2001. Necks of sauropod dinosaurs: Support for a nuchal ligament? 224.

Elzanowski, 2001. A novel reconstruction of the Archaeopteryx skull, 227.
This is about possible kinesis in the seventh specimen.  She suggests there was flexion in front of the braincase, a sliding lacrimal-jugal joint and a quadrate-pterygoid propulsion joint.  However, there does not appear to be a prokinetic flexion zone.  Thus, Archaeopteryx may have had a unique type of cranial kinesis.

Holliday, Sedlmayr, Ridgely and Witmer, 2001. The articular cartilage of extent archosaur long bones: Implications for dinosaur functional morphology and allometry, 241-242.

Hou, 2001. Chinese Mesozoic birds and the early evolution of birds, 243.
Nothing new, lots of dated ideas like Sauriurae and a couple obvious misspellings- Changhengornis and Tibeinia.  Suggests birds may have been polyphyletic *smirk* :-) .

Hurum, 2001. Tarbosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus, 243.
Actually a misnomer, this has nothing to do whatsoever with the Tarbosaurus-Tyrannosaurus debate.  It is simply a shorter version of the JVP short paper discussing how the fused supradentary and coronoid(?) made the mandible of tyrannosaurids rigid.

Kundrat, Cruickshank, Manning and Joysey, 2001. Structure of the embryonic parabasisphenoid in a therizinosauroid dinosaur, 251-252.
Discusses the pneumatized basispenoid of a therizinosauroid embryo found in a dendroolithid egg (75-90 mm) from the Nanchao Formation, Henan, China.  Most is on details of the internal structure too technical for me to find useful.

Kundrat and Currie, 2001. On the embryonic neural endocranium of lambeosaurid hadrosaurs, 252.

Marshall and Barreto, 2001. A healed Torosaurus skull injury and the implications for developmental morphology of the ceratopsian frill, 259.

Parrish and Stevens, 2001. Neck mobility in long-necked vertebrates: From modern mammals to sauropods, 270.

Rayfield, 2001. Functional morphology of the skull of Allosaurus fragilis: A study using the finite element method, 274.

Rega and Brochu, 2001. Evidence of thoracic breathing in Tyrannosaurus rex, based upon recent anatomical and pathological evidence from "Sue".
Suggests that Tyrannosaurus rex may have lacked a sternum and that a previously identified sternum was actually fused gastralia.

Ruben and Jones, 2001. Feathered dinosaurs and other myths: A cold hard look at reality, 278.
So...... horrible....... difficult to read without laughing.  Remember everyone- Sinosauropteryx's and Sinornithosaurus' "filaments and feathers" are simply collagen fibers, Pelecanimimus has scales (bwah?!), Protarchaeopteryx is a volant bird and Caudipteryx is also avian.  It's all so obvious that I feel like screaming and doing violent things when I realize people can still support this type of crap.  But I digress.....

Sander and Klein, 2001. Heterochrony in sauropodomorph dinosaur evolution as deduced from bone histology, 279.

Signore and Raja, 2001. The use of rigid tails and grasping claws in Dromaeosauridae and Troodontidae (Theropoda, Dinosauria), 284.

Signore, 2001. Predatory strike in some predatory dinosaurs, 285.

Snively and Russell, 2001. Integrated bone and ligament function of the metatarsus of tyrannosaurid dinosaurs, 286.

Vickayous and Russell, 2001. The osseous secondary palate of ankylosaurs: variation in confugurations of the nasal pathways, 295.

Mickey Mortimer