RE: Digit Loss

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Mickey_Mortimer
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 10:46 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Digit Loss

Tracy Ford wrote-

> First of all, juveniles have larger arms than adults (Currie the Armour
> symposium).
>
> CM 938 I get about 35% as for BHI 2033. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it
> takes a little more than 3 humerus lengths to get the length of the femur.
>
> Tarbosaurus efremovi PIN 551-2, its 4 humeri.
>
> For all you who don't know IVPP V4878 is Shanshanosaurus huoyanshanensis
> DONG, 1977, A JUVENILE!!! So it's arms would be bigger than the adult.
> Haven't I gone over that already? Use adults.

Measuring directly from Osborn 1916 for CMN 9380 I get 29%, using Matthew
and Brown's (1928) measurements I get 28% (3.57 humeri).  Their measurement
for AMNH 5664 is 29% and CMN 2120 is 31%, which is odd if juveniles are
supposed to have longer arms.  What is your reference for PIN 551-2?

Mickey Mortimer

Maleev, E. 1974. Giant carnosaurs of the family Tyrannosauridae, in Mesozoic
and Cenozoic faunas and biostragragphy of Mongolia. Transactions of Joint
Soviet-Mongolian Paleontological Expedition, Vol. 1: 132-190.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074