Re: preliminary ornithischian classification

In a message dated 6/9/01 5:16:46 PM EST, kinman@hotmail.com writes:

<< The only really "BIG" question in my mind now is whether or not
 Ankylosauridae and Stegosauridae (both sensu lato here) are really sister
 groups or not.   Apparently some workers think Stegosaurs are sister group
 to cerapodans (in a clade excluding ankylosaurs).  I have no strong opinion
 one way or the other at the present. >>

There's no real basis for grouping stegos and ankylos together except for
their armor and a few minor anatomical features. Since I think dermal armor
is plesiomorphic to ornithischians and sauropodomorphs and variably expressed
in all of their subclades, it's not a useful character for uniting stegos and
ankylos (might as well unite them with titanosaurians into the bargain, eh?).
In terms of pelvic and limb structure, stegos seem closer to
marginocephalians and are likely the closest known sister group to
marginocephalians plus ornithopods. But their appendicular anatomy really is
unique to them.