Re: Resolving the Digit Loss Debate?

<You must remember that the earliest dinosaur wings retained the
plesiomorphic grasping function and did so at least to the
common ancestor of the ceratosaurians. The flying function
evolved gradually and incrementally on top of the already
present grasping function, so the earliest wings would not have
anatomically resembled the highly modified forelimbs that birds
possess today and certainly would not have functioned like
them.>

  My point is this, unless it serves a function to control air
while the organism in in flight, or gliding, then it's not a
wing. Not even an airfoil. Even a ceratosaur couldn't get it's
arm into the possition to allow any form of as yet unknown
integumentary structures to effect the air.

<There are no forelimbs like these in extant animals that I know
of; it is perhaps our job to reconstruct what these forelimbs
were like from the fossil record of early theropod descendants
of these dinobirds.>

  True. Absolutely true.

=====
Jaime A. Headden