Re: Digit Loss

David Marjanovic wrote:

> What about the hyperphalangy in ichthyosaurs? And isn't the pteroid bone
in
> pterosaurs analogous to the panda thumb, also an altered (meta)carpal?
>
> Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
> Mines and Geosciences Bureau
> Philippines

Hyperphalangy is the phenomenon that the digits have more phalanges than
usual, not that there are more digits; this is very common in sea-living
tetrapods (sauropterygians, whales). The pteroid bone... hm. Might be the
ossified base of a tendon; it is not a metacarpal.

Sorry, I should have used hyperdactyly, which is also observed in ichthyosaurs.

Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog Mines and Geosciences Bureau Philippines