Bad, bad research about a great author was... Re: Bambiraptor vs. Troodon

Not that it will make you feel any better, apparently, given your penchant
against and total disdain for any form of popular culture, but Mr. Disney
did not invent Bambi.  (Nor do I know, indeed, if the animal was actually
named after the literary character).

Bambi existed as one of the best and most popular English language
children's books of all time nearly two decades before the Disney
organization bought the rights to make it into a movie. It was written by
Felix Salten a Hungarian who was considered to be a major figure in
Austrian literature. (does that make you like him any better or are
Europeans beneath consideration as serious artists, too?). He was also an
accomplished writer of other things besides children's books.

I include here for the edification of those totally uninformed about
literature a brief selection of a biography that may be found at greater
length at:

http://www.usc.edu/isd/locations/ssh/special/fml/Salten.html

[quotation]
Felix Salten (originally named Siegmund Salzmann) was born in Budapest,
Hungary but is often considered Austrian.. His writing career began
unexpectedly when his wrote poems and short stories to relieve the boredom
of his job at an insurance agency. He began selling his work to newspapers
and publishing them under a number of pseudonyms, one of which he later
took as his legal name. He became a member of the Young Vienna group and
became good friends with Arthur Schnitzler. In 1902 he married actress
Ottilie Metz; their two children, Paul and Anna-Katherina, were born in the
two following years. He worked as a journalist in Berlin and Vienna, first
as editor for the Berliner Morgenpost, then later serving as theater critic
for the Wiener Allgemeinen Zeitung. With the 1938 German annexation of
Austria, Salten and his wife emigrated to Switzerland with help from their
daughter. They lived in
Zurich together until his wife's death in 1942.

He also wrote historical fiction, including Prinz Eugen (1915), and a few
plays. He is best known for his
stories about animals - his most famous the story of a deer named Bambi.
His novel Bambi (1923) was the
basis for the 1941/42 animation film by Walt Disney. Unfortunately Salten
sold the rights to his book in
1933 so the tremendous success of the film brought him little financial
gain.

At the invitation of the Carnegie Foundation, in 1930 Salten and a group of
colleagues  traveled to the United States. He wrote about his impressions
of this country in Fünf  Minuten Amerika (Five Minutes America) published
in 1931.

[end quotation]

In the event that it's not absolutely apparent from my remarks, I think it
is untoward of those professing some interest in the sciences to be so
publically derisive of the work of professionals in other fields.
Especially when the basis of the criticism is so clearly ignorant of facts,
history, and any other semblance of the sort of careful work in research
that someone claiming to be seriously interested in paleontology ought to
do.

This list is officially intolerant of personal attacks, and I fail to see
why these snide and nasty minded remarks don't fall into that category.

E. Summer

omtvedt@hjem.as wrote:

> Bambi-raptor? Please tell me little Wes Lintser didn't name a dinosaur
> (especially a raptor) after a Walt Disney character. Why oh why?

Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette - Science, Wisdom, Stupid Jokes
http://www.dinosaur.org  mailto:DinoGazette@Juno.Com
Honored by National Education Association, Encyclopedia Britannica Internet
Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site of the Day. Member of
The Paleo Ring

Bear Bob's Story - The secret history of Theodore Roosevelt ...
A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer
A Yahooligans choice.