Re: Pleurocoelus

In a message dated 6/12/01 2:25:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

>  There is no evidence that _Pleurocoelus_ is found in Texas.  The
>  "Pleurocoelus" material from Texas most likely does *not* belong to the
same
>  genus as the Maryland/Arundel material.  A lot of sauropod material from
the
>  SW previously referred to _Pleurocoelus_ has already been assigned to other
>  sauropod genera.  Looks like another State Dinosaur might bite the dust!

I have to verbatim reiterate Tim's reply...

There is no evidence that _Pleurocoelus_ is found in Texas.  The
"Pleurocoelus" material from Texas most likely does *not* belong to the same
genus as the Maryland/Arundel material.  A lot of sauropod material from the
SW previously referred to _Pleurocoelus_ has already been assigned to other
sauropod genera.
Sink Astrodon.
Raise Pleurocoelus in Maryland ONLY
Texas sauropod ?:  cf. _Sauroposeidon_, _Cedarosaurus_ , or something other
than Pleuro. And definitely NOT Astrodon!
And don't forget the Montana sauropod too!

 >Looks like another State Dinosaur might bite the dust!

It should, I cannot wait to tell the politicians! ;->

Tom

Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies
Tompaleo@aol.com