RE: Best skulls for artistic reference

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Tracy Ford
>
> One warning about the skull of "Stan", though: the teeth are almost always
> mounted as if they are falling out of the jaws in the various casts I've
> seen at different museums.  Adult _T. rex_ teeth are about 1/3
> crown and 2/3
> root.<<
>
> * Well, your incorrect about 'Stan'. I've talked extensively to both Peter
> and Neal about this. Those teeth are as they were I life, they
> have not been
> misplaced during fossilization. You need to look at the casts
> itself (as in
> putting your head in it : >, I've done it several times) and you'll see
> where the replacement teeth are pushing the teeth out. No
> question about it.
> There is something strange going on with 'Stan'.
> *

If so, then this is a pathology.  However, I strongly suspect this is
post-mortem rather than in life: I've had my head in several casts (and had
a brief visit with the real thing), and this clearly was not the life
position of the teeth.

(Furthermore, the enamelled vs. non-enamelled portions of the teeth are
pretty well demarcated.  In Stan they are far from the tops of the sockets
(they should be much closer).)

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742