RE: Best skulls for artistic reference

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. [mailto:tholtz@geol.umd.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 2:12 PM
To: dino.hunter@home.com; Dinonet (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Best skulls for artistic reference

* From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Tracy Ford
>
> One warning about the skull of "Stan", though: the teeth are almost always
> mounted as if they are falling out of the jaws in the various casts I've
> seen at different museums.  Adult _T. rex_ teeth are about 1/3
> crown and 2/3
> root.<<
>
> * Well, your incorrect about 'Stan'. I've talked extensively to both Peter
> and Neal about this. Those teeth are as they were I life, they
> have not been
> misplaced during fossilization. You need to look at the casts
> itself (as in
> putting your head in it : >, I've done it several times) and you'll see
> where the replacement teeth are pushing the teeth out. No
> question about it.
> There is something strange going on with 'Stan'.
> *

If so, then this is a pathology.  However, I strongly suspect this is
post-mortem rather than in life: <<

I think a lot of this is missinterpeted as post-mortem and I think someone
has written about this, but I may be wrong.

>>I've had my head in several casts (and had
a brief visit with the real thing), and this clearly was not the life
position of the teeth.<<
*
* Actually I do believe there is a pathology involved. The pariatal has bite
marks and is missing some of one side. I've talked about this before and in
one of my talks, that what 'might' have happened is that the animal was in a
fight, had the parital bitten off. The muscle attachment area as well as
some of the muscle is missing. AFIK there isn't or very little rehealing in
the area. Perhaps there was enough trama that the animal couldn't bite
anymore. The teeth should have fallen out, and they didn't (both the upper
and lower teeth show this) and it starved to death.

>>(Furthermore, the enamelled vs. non-enamelled portions of the teeth are
pretty well demarcated.  In Stan they are far from the tops of the sockets
(they should be much closer).)<<

Yes, I understand what you mean.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171