RE: Laws on fossil collecting

>===== Original Message From fabdalla@box1.tin.it =====

[exchange snipped]

>But the important thing is to underline that fossil safety in a museum is
>not so sure as it could appear from a theoretical point of view.
>This is true also for hospitals.

And that is, I think, exactly the reason why a far greater amount of
cooperation and coordination in Europe will be required. A proper registration
of fossil material would be a start, for instance. We could learn a lot from
archivists, who have had centuries of experience with looters of all kinds.
Ideally, not a museum drawer should be opened without record of who is doing
so. Lack of finances but also of organisation will often (certainly *NOT*
always) lead to dangerous carelessness, simply because the manpower to keep
track is not there.

Ilja