RE: Laws on fossil collecting

Ilja wrote:
<<And that is, I think, exactly the reason why a far greater amount of
cooperation and coordination in Europe will be required. A proper
registration
of fossil material would be a start, for instance. We could learn a lot from
archivists, who have had centuries of experience with looters of all kinds.
Ideally, not a museum drawer should be opened without record of who is doing
so. Lack of finances but also of organisation will often (certainly *NOT*
always) lead to dangerous carelessness, simply because the manpower to keep
track is not there.<<

Dear Ilja,
the problem here is that most of the Museums are under the administration
of politicians or politician-like people (i.e. professional figures sharing
with politicians the same characters). I agree that we could do a lot of
good and logical things if intelligent and good-willing people had the
power. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
Anyway, all the 25.000 fossils at the Museum of Monfalcone (managed by
volunteers) have a catalogue number and are listed in a computer database.

Fabio

Fabio M. Dalla Vecchia, PhD
Museo Paleontologico Cittadino
Via Valentinis 134