Re: Size limits

David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote

   AFAIK someone calculated a theoretical limit for quadrupedal land
   animals at 140 t because then the legs have to be so thick that they
   touch. BTW, I don't believe the 100-t-estimate for Argentinosaurus --
   Brachiosaurus has been credited with serious estimates between 15 and
   75 t, for example; I prefer the former estimate, because most
   titanosauriforms had more air than bone in their vertebrae and must have
   had large air sacs.

Moreover, these large herbivores certainly fermented their food. That means large amount of gas in the stomach/intestine. Thus, major part of their volume would have been gas.

Did all those methane keep the Mesozoic so warm :)

Gautam Majumdar                 gautam@majumdar.demon.co.uk