Re: Dinosaur intelligence

From: Jan Grönvik <jan.gronvik@telia.com>

What do the scientists mean when they say that one animal species is >more intelligent than another? The brain mass compared to the body mass >seems to be important in those theories.

From what I hear, animal intelligence has little to do with
brain-to-body-mass EQs, and more to do with the density of neurons in the brain.
Dinosaur braincases, as I understand, are about all we have to look at in terms of getting an idea as to what the brain of a given species might have looked like. People generally tend to think that the bigger the brain in relation to body mass, the smarter the animal. But this does not necessarily hold true.
Take a supposedly smart dinosaur like _Troodon_, for example. It has a large brain in relation to its body, but I hear its optic lobes are huge! So although the animal might very well have had an excellent sense of vision, it did not necessarily have the capabiltiy of 'higher cognitive thinking' (whatever than means).
Besides that, it is also hard to get an accurate size estimate of the brain itself, and the braincase was filled with protective fluid in life, and as such, the brain would not have filled the entire braincase.

Just some thoughts. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not overly knowledgeable in this topic.

-Jordan Mallon