Re: [Dinosaur intelligence]

Jan Grönvik <jan.gronvik@telia.com> wrote:

> What do the scientists mean when they say that one animal species is more
intelligent than another?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Usually that they like that species over the other one :)

Seriously though, most scientists shy away from the subject since intelligence
is hard enough to define, much less measure.

________________________________

> The brain mass compared to the body mass seems to be important in those >
theories.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AFAIK only psychologists take EQ seriously. There is little to no evidence
that EQ has any correlation to intelligence. So far the best evidence for
intelligence seems to be in neuronal associations and degrees of sociality in
animals.

___________________________

>Does a mouse have a larger brain compared to its body mass than an      >
elephant? And if so, is the mouse more intelligent than the elephant?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mice do have a higher EQ to them, but I have no clue if they are smarter or
not. True mice run mazes better than elephants, but then how many scientists
have bothered to construct mazes large enough for elephants.

____________________________

> Does this have relevance for dinosaurs as well? Did nerve signals      >
travel with the same speed in dinosaurs as in mammals or birds?

> Best Wishes
>
> Jan Grönvik

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nerve signals should have traveled the same speed in dinos as well as in any
other vertebrate. As for looking for intelligence in extinct animals, I think
it is fruitless and best left alone until we can:

A) Get a standardized, working, definition of intelligence
and
B) Find a working method of measuring intelligence in animals.

Till then intelligence will always be in the eye of the beholder.

Jura - who thinks it would be so poetically ironic to find out that
_Stegosaurus_ was the smartest dinosaur.

The Reptipage: A site devoted to the study of and education on, the reptilia:

http://reptilis.net