Re: Yanornis NOT an enantiornithine!

bh480@scn.org wrote:

> Yanornis NOT an enantiornithine!
> From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org

 (called "Yan
> bird" in the Chinese text), and it is NOT an
> enantiornithine! Here's a very rough rendering on one
> sentence:
> "Yan bird [Yanornis] is a  Liaoxi Early Cretaceous newly
> discovered ..nearly complete fossilized bird, belonging to
> the modern bird division."
> Translating this stuff accurately is time-consuming but
> I'll have more results soon.
> http://www.scichina.com/kz/0105/kzfm05.stm

That "yan" is the word for a common bird, the swallow.  The Chinese name
is "ma3 shi4 yan4 -- The "ma" preserves the name "martini" in Chinese,
while the "shi" is just a word that says the preceding character
indicates a person's name.  Near as I can tell with my fallible Chinese,
it is called Ma(rtini's) Swallow.

Here is a quickie of the abstract, after the sentences you did (there
are a couple of technical terms I don't know:

"These two types of birds are more advanced than Liaoning neornithes,
but
closer to [Zhaoyang and Songling bird].  Compared with other Cretaceous
birds, such as Confuciornis, Liaoxi and Shifan, these two new types of
birds
have distinctly advanced features resembling those of modern birds, and
strong flying ability.  Yanornis has a larger body and longer skull than
Yixianornis and Zhaoyang, with longer [ wings? upper body?].  This new
Neornithes
fossil discovery indicates that during the Cretaceous whether birds
whose
relationships with modern birds are more distant or are in the same line
as modern birds (including neornithes radiation and distribution), it is
obvious that they are all different than [Shizhu Bird] , Confuciornis,
and [technical
term, class of birds, I don't know].  The flight structures of Yanornis
and
Yixianornis, compared with those of modern birds, have no obvious,
distinct
differences. While there is no obvious difference in those structures,
other structures of these two birds still retain some primitive
features, such as teeth in
the upper and lower jaw, more developed claws, and the public [far end?]
joint.  This illustrates the most recent ancestor of modern birds could
possibly be found even later."

Michael
--
http://users2.ev1.net/~turton/Main_index.html
Did you hear about the new restaurant on the moon?