Re: Yanornis NOT an enantiornithine!

Many thanks for your help with the translation! I need to
point out a little twist about the name Yanornis, however.
The same character meaning "swallow" was also the name of
the one-time Kingdom of Yan in the Chaoyang region of
Liaoning Province. The Chinese are very fond of puns and
it's highly likely the name Yanornis is a play on both
meanings. The species name is very likely meant to honor
Larry Martin, an American paleontologist interested in
Chinese birds. If I could get the article in PDF form to
work, I might be able to confirm the etymologies. Can you
get the title, authors and abstract at
http://www.scichina.com/kz/0105/kz0371.stm to show up in
Chinese characters? I'm still trying.

> bh480@scn.org wrote:
> >
> > Yanornis NOT an enantiornithine!
> > From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
> >
>  (called "Yan
> > bird" in the Chinese text), and it is NOT an
> > enantiornithine! Here's a very rough rendering on one
> > sentence:
> > "Yan bird [Yanornis] is a  Liaoxi Early Cretaceous
newly discovered ..nearly complete fossilized bird,
belonging to the modern bird division."
> > Translating this stuff accurately is time-consuming but
> > I'll have more results soon.
> > <a
href="http://www.scichina.com/kz/0105/kzfm05.stm";>http://ww
w.scichina.com/kz/0105/kzfm05.stm</a>

> That "yan" is the word for a common bird, the swallow.
The Chinese name is "ma3 shi4 yan4 -- The "ma" preserves
the name "martini" in Chinese,while the "shi" is just a
word that says the preceding character indicates a
person's name.  Near as I can tell with my fallible
Chinese, it is called Ma(rtini's) Swallow.