Re: Phytodinosauria status

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ken Kinman wrote:

>       I was just looking at the 10 skeletal "innovations" which Sereno 1999
> listed for ornithischians, and sure enough no. 10 is the pendant fourth
> trochanter.

Just a word about the pendant fourth trochanter in Massospondylus.
George has used it as a possible synapomorphy between the Ornithischia
and Massospondylidae but it is only present in one individual of
Massospondylus! There are dozens of other femora all of which have the
typical non-pendant shape. No other members of the Massospondylidae
have one either (I include Lufengosaurus, Yunnanosaurus, Jinshanosaurus
and probably Coloradisaurus - there is an undescribed postcranial
skeleton of this guy). I think that the one specimen that does have it
is a pathologic individual (a bony lump growing on the ventral corner of
the 4th trochanter perhaps where the caudofemoralis had been torn off at
some point in its life).

cheers

Adam Yates