From: Ken Kinman [mailto:kinman@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2001 11:44 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Phytodinosauria status

      I was just looking at the 10 skeletal "innovations" which Sereno 1999
listed for ornithischians, and sure enough no. 10 is the pendant fourth
trochanter.
      The first five deal with the jaw (and plant chewing) so could have
arisen more than once.  I also wonder how many times the predentary bone may

have arisen, given its presence in at least one Cretaceous bird (EGAD!!!).
      Ornithischian phylogeny seems a whole look shakier than ever imagined,

and a paraphyletic (or even a polyphyletic) Thyreophora seems a real
possibility.
         -----This is very troubling,    Ken