Re: Bruhathkayosaurus

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:41:32
 Ken Kinman wrote:

>Dear All,
>     The name Bruhathkayosaurus didn't ring a bell, so had to look it up.
>If it was a dinosaur, it was apparently a sauropod, not a huge theropod as
>originally thought.
>      However, Mike's dinosauricon has a rather odd remark about it, IIRC:
>"if it is, indeed, animalian".  I assume there is some rather peculiar story
>surrounding this fossil or perhaps rumours about what it really is.
>      If it isn't "animalian", what could it possibly be?  Perhaps pieces of
>petrified wood that just happen to look just like dinosaurian limb elements?
>  Or perhaps a hoax, like the supposed marine onychophoran worms from the
>Bay of Bengal?  I wonder if there is a dinosaurological Paul Harvey who
>could tell us "the rest of the story"?  :-)

We would need Art Bell to tell us the story of Bruhathkayosaurus!  I do believe
that it has been suggested the bones were petrified tree trunks.  This actually
isn't uncommon.  I believe that it was first thought by its discoverers that
Sauroposeidon's leg bones (femur, probably) were tree trunks.  I wouldn't doubt
myself making the same mistake, as it is much easier to think that a huge bone
is actually a tree in the field.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY