RE: Lemurs and Feathers

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
David Marjanovic
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 2:17 PM
To: The Dinosaur Mailing List
Subject: Re: Lemurs and Feathers

* >>Probably went the other way, or at best evolved in
> tandem: easier to get from flight to brooding and underwater flying than
vice
> versa.<<
> What about a flier/swimmer, like a hoatzin (but without the diet of
leaves).
> That sort of covers all the bases; parachute into the water from a tree,
and then
> flap arms to propel yourself forward.  Good development for the proper
muscles
> and joints, but the need to parachute and catch food with hands negates
any
> tendancy toward atrophication (if that's a word).

(You mean transformation of wings into penguin-style paddles?)
Good idea! I haven't thought of that, and I haven't been able to find any
counter-arguments so far :-) -- except for a lack of arboreal adaptations in
theropods (such as mobile extremities and grasping feet); but I haven't seen
the Aye-Aye theropod, so maybe I better stay quiet before BCF people become
angry...

I wouldn't go so far as to say theropods didn't have grasping feet. When I
get done with some projects I'm going to finish working on this.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074