Re: Bruhathkayosaurus

George Olshevsky wrote-

> With a tibia about 2m long and a femur 75 cm across the condyles (assuming
> the measurements are to be trusted), this is a >whale< of a titanosaur.

George is right, Bruhathkayosaurus was huge.  Using the humerotibial ratio
of Aegyptosaurus, we can estimate Bruhathkayosaurus' humerus was 2.34 meters
long.  This is 30% larger than estimatated for Argentinosaurus (1.81 m) and
39% larger than Paralititan (1.69 m).  It agrees well with the tibia length
being 29% larger than that of Argentinosaurus (1.55 m).  Using the
reconstruction of Argentinosaurus by Paul (1994) gives an estimated total
length of 44.1 meters, compared to Argentinosaurus' 34.6 and Paralititan's
31.9.  Only Amphicoelias fragillimus was larger, at 56-62 meters long.
Based on the estimated mass of Argentinosaurus (80-100 tons),
Bruhathkayosaurus may have weighed 175-220 tons.  Gigantic.

Mickey Mortimer