RE: Little video blurb on the new Zuni theropods

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> philidor11
>

> Here's the Reuters story, including a video. though the video
> link was dead
> when I tried it tonight:
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/588992.asp
>
> The video did have pictures of smooth-skinned coelurosaurs
> squabbling when I
> saw it today, as shown down the page.  The voice over and a brief
>  glance at
> the speaker mentioned the speculation that they might possibly have had
> integumentary structures resembling feathers, maybe.
> The top of the page shows a critter with hairlike fringe on the
> back of his
> neck.

Actually, both theropods in that sequence (a dromaeosaurid and
_Notrhyonychus_) have body feathers, but the artists gave both naked faces
and _Nothronychus_ a bare chest and belly.  Unfortunately the picture
quality of the internet video obscures the body covering.  The broadcast
pictures and still photos show them a lot better.

That being said, there are still some changes I wanted to put in on these
guys which were impossible given current processing time.  These were longer
arm feathers and a tail fan on both the maniraptorans.

The narrator for WDRA, incidentally, is John Goodman.

> The Wired News copy of the Reuters story includes a picture of a shaggy
> animal resembling my impression of a clawed, hairy goose.  (Where
> I got this
> impression shall remain speculative.)
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,44599,00.html

That is one of the artists' original paintings of _Nothronychus_.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite