From: "ptnorton" <ptnorton@msn.com>
To: <TomHopp@aol.com>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Lemurs and Feathers
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 20:28:22 -0400

Tom Hopp wrote:

> Hang in there regarding brooding.<

One thing I like about the brooding hypothesis is that it provides a
non-aerodynamic explanation for the evolution of elongated, vaned feathers
on the back-side of the arms. As such large flat surface areas evolved,
however, aerodynamic forces would be an increasingly signficant factor in
selecting modifications that anchored those feathers more firmly to the
musculoskeltal structure of the animal. As that began to happen, the arm
would begin to function more like a wing in that it would be capable of
using arm motions to generate lifting, thrusting and braking forces.