Re: Feather origin hypothesis (for predator evasion??)

I have to give HP* Kinman credit for imagination, but it doesn't seem
likely as an explanation for the origin of feathers, for reasons HP
Marjanovic gave. However, it certainly does sound to me like a possible
function of tail fans. Do any extant critters with tail fans use them in
this manner, though?

* Who started all this "HP" stuff, anyway?
T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>
       Yahoo! Messenger        <Mighty Odinn>