RE: Feather origin hypothesis (for predator evasion??)

> [...]
>      It seems to me the most expendable part of reptiles and many other
> animals is the tail, and various lizards use a brighter colored tail tip
> and/or very detachable wiggly one as a sacrifice well worth escaping a
> predator with one's life and minimal damage.

Yeah, lizards, that don't need their tail ends for much and can _regrow_
them. Not bipedal dinosaurs that needed a tail with a fixed length for
balancing

Only SOME lizards can regrow their tails. The reason they loose them/or can
loose them, is due to an offensive strategy, in that what ever is attacking
it is distracted by the broken off, wiggling tail so this argument doesn't
fit. And the rest of the statement is obviously true.

>      Before feathers were exapted for insulation, brooding, display,
> gliding, flying, or anything else, could feathers have originally appeared
> at the end of theropod (pre-dino-bird) tails as a predator evasion
strategy?

BTW, brooding explains only wing feathers, display, gliding and flying
explain wing and tail feathers, and insulation explains protofeathers, down
and contour feathers, that's not all the same.<<
So, when is the paper going to be out? In your theory brooding was first, so
it goes back to the first theropods? Would Coelophysis brood? Did all
theropods brood or just some? (I know not all birds do, I think I heard
that). So your telling us T. rex brooded? I can't see that large an animal
doing it.
I've seen several other dinosaurs in a 'brooding' position, but because they
aren't theropods brooding isn't thought about.
Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074