RE: Lemurs and Feathers

Tracy Ford wrote:
<<So, when is the paper going to be out?>>
Dinofest 98? Never, I guess.
Our new one, maybe 6-12 months, depending on rejections, resubmissions --
you
know, the usual.<<

Yea, I gave a couple of talks and haven't heard anything from anyone about
getting the articles to them. What a way to run a symposium.
Are you going to submit the paper someplace else?

<<Would Coelophysis brood? Did all theropods brood or just some? (I know not
all birds do, I think I heard that). So your telling us T. rex brooded? I
can't see that large an animal doing it.>>
Here's how. Rex sits down near (not on) the nest, in the three-point posture
seen in theropod trackways (two feet and pubic boot). Then Rex leans
forward,
balancing weight with tail until belly contacts rim of nest. Then Rex gently
covers excavation/eggs/chicks with breast, puts arms in nesting-oviraptor
posture, spreads feathers, gets tight seal. Heat from heart warms babies.
Not
that much different from the way Rex's second-cousin-twice-removed, Robin
Redbreast, does it.<<

I can't see it, just too big. I think there would be a strain on the mother.
It has to worry about it's stomach and in lying that way the tail would be
sticking up in the air.

<<I've seen several other dinosaurs in a 'brooding' position, but because
they aren't theropods brooding isn't thought about.>>
Yeah, there's a lovely Psittacosaurus from the Gobi that is in the oviraptor
posture without a nest. I wonder if it could have applied that posture to a
nest? Duh.

I've been saying that on the list for about a year. I've also seen
Protoceratops and one of the two Leptoceratops skeletons with the arms the
same way. Could just be a resting position.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074