Re: Validity of Alioramus

Tim Williams wrote-

> _Alioramus_ an immature _Tarbosaurus bataar_?  I'm willing to believe that
> _Shanshanosaurus_ might be a young _Tarbosaurus_, but _Alioramus_ looks as
> good as gold to me.  Can anyone set my mind at ease?

Well, there's always Tom's analysis on the Tree of Life.  He separates
Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus
from Alioramus because of the following synapomorphies lacking in the
latter.

Maxillary tooth count 13 or fewer
Postorbital dorsal surface with enlarged bump in adults
Supraoccipital excluded from foramen magnum margin
Vertical depth of caudal portion of dentary twice or more as deep as depth
at symphysis
Dentary tooth count 15 or fewer
Lateral teeth incrassate (cross-section greater than 60% as wide
mediolaterally as long craniocaudally)

Mickey Mortimer