Re: Megapodes!

Very cool site!

However, note that different species of megapode provide differing degrees
of parental care to their offspring -- including none whatsover! All
3 extant Ozzie species (Alectura lathami - Brush-turkey, Leipoa ocellata -
Malleefowl, Megapodius reinwardt - Scrubfowl) do indeed tend to their nest
mounds providing both defence and temperature-regulation. At the other end
are forms from remote volcanic islands like the Niuafo'ou Megapode
(Megapodius pritchardii) of Tonga that simply dump an egg in a burrow dug
in loose soil
associated with warm volcanic vents. The 'nests' are not attended by the
parents
and the young have to dig their own way out of the burrow and immediately
set off on their own.

Cheerio
Brian