Haopterus NOT a pterodactylid!

dinosaur@usc.edu
From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
Haopterus NOT a pterodactylid!

Here's a message I received from Dave Peters about the new
Liaoning pterosaur viewed at
http://www.scichina.com/ky/0113/kyfm13.stm:

Thanks for the post to the dino list on the new pterosaur
from China (Wang and Lü 2001).  I did a quick tracing and
discovered that this is no pterodactylid. The wingspread
is huge! It is much closer to an anhanguerid, considering
the following: 1) the first wing phalanx is about the size
of the skull; 2) the cervicals are short and robust; 3)
the manual claws are twice as deep as their associated
penultimate phalanges; 4) the sternum is very large.  The
interesting things I haven't seen before are those pseudo-
pteroids erupting between the first and second wing
phalanges. I'll be contacting the authors and hopefully a
new reconstruction will appear on pterosaurs.net in the
near future.

Share this with the list if you wish.

David Peters