Re: Discovery Channel's "Beasts in Your Back Yard"

At 11:13 AM -0400 6/22/01, Ray Stanford wrote:
BACKGROUND:
    On http://dsc.discovery.com/cgi-bin/whichdino.cgi under Beasts in Your
Back Yard, one can type in one's zip code and supposedly receive information
about dinosaurs roamed in the area associated with the zip code.  So I typed
in my local College Park, Maryland, zip code, 20741, pressed the "show me"
button, and I was told that Allosaurus and Tenontosaurus were in our area.

    Well, we have no Jurassic exposures here in Prince George's County.  Not
unreasonably, no Allosaurus material has been reliably reported.  Tom Lipka
has found teeth identified by someone whom he says is knowledgeable about
Acrocanthosaurus teeth (but whose name I do not recall) as being from that
theropod, an Early Cretaceous allosaurid, but those teeth are certainly not
from Allosaurus, per se.

I checked a Hawaii zip code and got:.

                       Ichthyosaurus

Which was at least somewhat appropriate since the islands weren't there in the Mesozoic. -- Jeff Hecht