RE: Discovery Channel's "Beasts in Your Back Yard" and Tyrannosaurid skin

Tracy L. Ford said:

"You know, I think a LOT of people are taking this a bit to literal. Sure in
Ottawa there are no Cretaceous deposits, but Ottawa DID have a Cretaceous
period! And YES, it did have Hadrosaurs!..."

    Good guess, seemingly, but are we 100% certain?<<

Give me a frigen break. Unbelievable. Hadrosaurs are known from Alaska to
South America. They just so happen to have by passed Ottawa altogether! Hey,
well then there were no dinosaurs in Ottawa, or Florida! Just because they
aren't found there they just happened to not have been there.
Therizinosaurids weren't known from North America, but HEY, they've been
found now. No Jurassic ankylosaurids were known until the last decade, so
what, they just so happen to just pop up? My point is that just because some
things haven't been found before doesn't mean they weren't there.

"...Just because they haven't been found in
the Ottawa area doesn't mean they were never THERE!"

    Of course, but even if likely, deducing that is not like knowing for
sure they were there.<<

See above about dinosaurs not being in Ottawa. Bull!

 "Yes the Discovery channel has taken liberties in saying what animal lived
there, but I don't
have a problem with it if the animal they are saying lived in that area did
live in that time period of that continent."

    Remember, they are having one provide zip codes, per se, not states or
larger areas.  That leads to very specific impressions (and expectations)
concerning the area involved.  Indeed they have taken liberties, but aren't
those liberties unfair if not presented as, at best, reasonably informed
guesses, instead of as unqualified fact?<<

Talk to them about it then.

    >>It does not seem expecting too much to ask producers to trouble
themselves in providing an appropriate context or qualifiers for their
hopefully educated guesses (as contrasts with cases where there is evidence
of the dinosaurs) and not to present them as facts.<<

Ok, no problem. My brother wants to some how, have my data lists able to
locate the areas of fossil animals by putting in a zip code or county (I
don't know if it'll work or not).

I think I have only a few more post that I can put on the list so I'll
combine this one.

Yes, tyrannosaurids do have 'scaly' skin. I have a cast of the the skin of a
tryannosaurid from Canada. They are not round, but are angled rectangular in
shape (wish I could think of the right mathematical term, rhomboid?)

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074