From: Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette <dinosaur@dinosaur.org>
To: kinman@hotmail.com
CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: raptor
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:02:03 -0400

An interesting response...

Discovery Channel spells it "Raptor" and claims that their paleo consultants
approve of that.

This seems to me something like the prevalence of  "T-rex" in book titles
because publishers claim that it's easier to read that "T. rex"

Ken Kinman wrote:

> I would definitely not spell raptor with a capital "R" in the middle of
> sentence as though it was a formal taxon. Even avian raptors would form a
> polyphyletic taxon, since the owls are not closely related to (i.e., in an
> exclusive clade with) hawks or other raptors.--

Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette - Science, Wisdom, Stupid Jokes
http://www.dinosaur.org mailto:DinoGazette@Juno.Com
Honored by National Education Association, Encyclopedia Britannica Internet
Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site of the Day. Member of The
Paleo Ring

Bear Bob's Story - The secret history of Theodore Roosevelt ...
A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer
A Yahooligans choice.