Re: [Re: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

----- Original Message -----
From: Zoe Heraklides <z_heraklides@hotmail.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>; <archosaur@usa.net>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Re: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

> Z.Heraklides and "archosaur@usa.net" wrote:
>
> This has also been discussed many times before. Maybe only tyrannosaur
> chicks had them, and the adults (being very large animals) lost them.
> (Remember, the fuzz on the Liaoning theropods look a lot like natal down
in
> brids.)
>
> Perhaps, in the earliest theropods with feathers, the faethers co-existed
> with scales over the body. Feathers were/are not an "everywhere or
nothing"
> phenomenon. Chickens do have scales where they don't have feathers (e.g.
> feet). Then again, over 120 million years seperates chickens from the
> feathered theropods of Liaoning.

So...
--- Could it be possible to get coexistence of feathers and scales in
Maniraptorans, Segnosaurs, _Oviraptor_, _Ornitholestes_...?
--- May we imagine large maniraptorans like _Utahraptor_ less feathered, or
almost naked, or, if possible coexistence of feathers and scales, almost
scaly?

      Luc J. "Aspidel" BAILLY.