Re: [Re: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
> "Jura" (archosaur@usa.net) wrote:
>
> >Couldn't it have been contamination that occured at the time of
> >fossilization
> >and not later (e.g. they fell on some funky plant?) and not have occured
> >later
> >on.
>
> Perhaps it was botanical (or mycological) contamination.  I'm open to the
> idea that these little dinosaurs were infected with a noxious weed or
> fungus, that creeps beneath their skin and digests their bodies from the
> inside out.

Mycological... I really doubt about it, since mycelium is not preserved in
sediments.
Fungi fossiles are really rare: in roots structures (mycorhizas) of trees,
lycopods, ferns..., in amber... and it's almost all!
That's how it's very hasardous to figure fungi in paleoart! (in my
_Hypsilophodon_ drawing, fungi are based on "primitive" actual mushrooms).

Friendly,
                Luc J. "Aspidel" BAILLY.