Re: POLITICALLY INCORRECT UTAH DINOSAURS! :)

Tracy Ford wrote:

> Could it be that the animal (if it was a carnivore) was dragging its
> prey in between its legs - as large cats do quite often. That would
> produce a drag mark, specially on soft mud. Tigers often hunt in the
> marshy or muddy flood plains but then drag the prey on to the dry land
> before eating.,,
>
> Interesting idea. The only problem I see in this is that the legs are
> usually under the body, but if the prey was held infront of the foot falls,
> maybe they could be dragging its prey.
>
> Tracy

  Perhaps the animal needed a little to incorperate a bit more "see-saw"
action in it's body to help it through the mud. If you pretend to do the
motion yourself, you find that you lift your body upwards when you
struggle to lift your foot out of the imaginary mud.  With a bipedal
dinosaur, that would mean it's tail would be closer to the substrate
during such a motion.
  Steve Gatsey's exteremly cool research on the tracks of a ceolophysid
dinosaur walking in ankle deep mud showed that the animal lowered it's
body as it entered the quagmire.  To me at least, it showed signs of an
animal not enjoying the yucky feeling as well as the unstable ground.
It's a stretch, but neat to think about.

  David Krentz